Music Venues - Past and present.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Venues - Past and present.

I'm posting this in the presumption that the subject matter may attract members of all ages to post their views, reminiscments and stories of seeing your favourite live bands.

You may gather by now that I am somewhat heavily into music. It's a passion
    I've seen hundreds, thousands(?) of live acts.
    Stadiums, arenas, city halls, pubs, fleapits (hello Adelphi!), and outdoor festivals.

I'd especially like to hear of people who went to the ABC or Regal in the 1950's & '60s.
    People who saw Buddy Holly in Hull. The Stones. The Beatles.

I'm, alas, far too young for that!

So young or old, classic rock, sixties pop, modern chart acts. This thread is for you.

Sometime soon I"ll share my experiences of seeing bands in Hull.
    Till then, over to you guys....

apart from pub and club bands, the only 'big' act iv seen in hull
    was the Quireboys at city hall back in 87!!
    I don't suffer from insanity.
    I enjoy every minute of it...

Comment

There's a name from the past!
      Decent enough rock/metal outfit.
      At least you didn't say Showaddywaddy, Andie!

Comment

i was way too young to see them in their heyday lol

my brother in law had a band back in the early 80s, they played a lot around hull

Comment

Originally posted by andiec View Post
          i was way too young to see them in their heyday lol

my brother in law had a band back in the early 80s, they played a lot around hull
          Perhaps I've seen them. Did they play pubs?

Comment

yeah....they started off in the late 70s as second site then became Headhunter and then became Trooper

Comment

Originally posted by andiec View Post
              yeah....they started off in the late 70s as second site then became Headhunter and then became Trooper
              I don't recall those names. Perhaps it was before I started seeing bands in pubs. Too busy "going around town" with my mates.
              Pub bands came later on for me, probably at the Springhead in Anlaby, late '80s.

Like you, I saw bands at the City Hall mostly.
              One of the first I saw was Iron Maiden in 1982, then names over the years like Saxon, Wishbone Ash, The Stranglers, Chris Rea, Manic Street Preachers, Cast, Lightning Seeds and Hull's own Keep It Cash.

There were more sedate and restrained acts like Elkie Brooks at the New Theatre too.

Then there was the Tower. Saw New Order there.

Does anyone remember Dingwalls in George Street?
              A great little music venue, saw the Eurythmics on the first week they ever hit the charts in 1983.
              Martha Reeves, Roy Harper and the Undertones on their final tour.

Never been to the Ice Arena, oddly. So I missed out on Paul Weller, Blondie and Oasis! Can't figure out why!

Comment

Saw most of the 60's artists at the Regal/ABC and another venue was the Cecil. Saw the Rolling Stones September 1964, front row of the circle at the ABC. That was the night Mick Jagger was dragged into the crowd by the girls. They used to have Hull and Rovers players as bouncers in front of the stage area and Police inside the theatre. If you go on YouTube or the British Pathe site, they have a great clip of the Stones that night in Hull. Also saw at the ABC, October, 1964, The Yardbirds, this was when Eric Clapton was still lead guitarist with them. Another music venue was the Skyline Ballroom, this was above the old Co Op store on the corner of Bond Street. It later became Baileys. This was a standing only venue and it used to be on a Thursday night and I saw The Small Faces, The Move, Cat Stevens and others here. It was a great venue, small and you could get really close to the artists. On Thursday 9th March, 1967 at the Skyline was the greatest concert I saw. Jimi Hendrix. What a night. To be just feet away from the star he already was and the legend he became. He was supported by some local groups, The Strollers and The Mandrakes. If I remember right, he finished with ' Wild Thing'. The Hull Daily Mail has no photos of the concert or any report. Dig around on the internet and you will find references to it and also a photo of the Skyline Ballroom, you can see what a great small venue it was. Great times.

Comment

wow, thanks for that beevee and welcome to the forum!!

everything sounded so much more exciting on the music scene back in the 60s / 70s
                  and dare i say it was probably cheaper. you need a mortgage to have a good night ou nowadays!

i really would love to get back into seeing some bands locally

Comment

Yes Beevee, that's a great post.
                    A couple of my friends certainly do recall many classic 1960's bands playing at the ABC.
                    I'm younger (no offence intended), and my reminiscings date back only as far as the early '80s as mentioned in my first post.
                    Any recollections of David Bowie, Free or King Crimson playing Hull Technical College in the early 1970's, Beevee? My mate saw them and is always talking about it.

Actually just returned from seeing The Australian Pink Floyd last weekend in Leeds. Superb.

Comment

No, I didn't see these groups at the Tech. College. Married with young family and working shifts, so didn't see much live music. Early 60's used to knock around the venues with my mates. Then met my girlfriend in 1966, married her in 1969. At the Jimi Hendrix concert in 1967 we got down in front of the stage, just before he came on, Vee started to feel faint, I got her out, put her on a chair at side of the room and went straight back to the stage. She has never forgotten this. Well Jimi Hendrix or girlfriend. We bought a combined ticket for three concerts. The Move, Cat Stevens and then Jimi Hendrix, I think it was 17s6d for the three concerts. I have a copy of the handbill somewhere, I'll have to find it and put a copy on here.
                      I won't go to the concerts in arenas, I think they are a total rip off. You cannot beat live music in small venue. My Wife grew up with Mick Ronson on Bilton Grange. I'll get some of the stories and let you know.

Comment

Thanks fantastic, BeeVee.
                        Hell, being into music like I am, I sometimes wish I had been in my teens a generation earlier.
                        Love the story about Hendrix. And yes, our wives don't forget these things.
                        Music in a small club or pub has an atmosphere that large venues cannot match. A great rockin' blues band is hatd to beat.
                        But it does depend on your viewpoint. I've seen some of my favourite acts in stadiums and large arenas.
                        You do get the atmosphere if they put on a good show. And for someone like myself who is a rock fan, nobody can match the sheer excitement and togetherness of Bruce Springsteen live.

Comment

My wife likes to drop into the conversation now and then that she saw the Beatles at ABC....(probably '63 or '64)
                          In latter years City Hall had some notable attractions.......I myself saw, hmm.... Big Country, Blue Oyster Cult, Dr Feelgood, Man, Gentler Giant, Mud, Slade, Wizzard etc. but missed out on such as Deep Purple, The Who, Mott the Hoople, ELP as they were generally on school nights ......... didn't stop other kids at school reporting back on what great nights they were though :-)
                          At ABC I saw The Bluejays, Focus etc. but generally speaking City Hall was the place to be in the 70s and early 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Duck Bharma View Post
                            My wife likes to drop into the conversation now and then that she saw the Beatles at ABC....(probably '63 or '64)
                            In latter years City Hall had some notable attractions.......I myself saw, hmm.... Big Country, Blue Oyster Cult, Dr Feelgood, Man, Gentler Giant, Mud, Slade, Wizzard etc. but missed out on such as Deep Purple, The Who, Mott the Hoople, ELP as they were generally on school nights ......... didn't stop other kids at school reporting back on what great nights they were though :-)
                            At ABC I saw The Bluejays, Focus etc. but generally speaking City Hall was the place to be in the 70s and early 80s.

Funnily enough Focus are playing Fruit next week (21st) - I'm going. Not quite the original lineup but still with Tjis Van Leer (or however you spell it).

Comment

What I do remember about the Focus concert was that Jan Akkerman had walked a few days before the tour and was replaced by Phillip Catherine. They didn't do 'Sylvia' but did I think a sort of medley that included Hocus Pocus. Having said that it was that era when bands decided not to do their biggest hits for some reason.
                              Someone mentioned Tech College: I remember seeing Thin Lizzy there when 'Whisky In the Jar' had just been a big hit. They didn't play it. :-0
                              I also saw Hinkley's Heros there (a vehicle for Albert Lee...), The Edgar Broughton Band ("out demons out....!") Darts, Johnny Thunders Hearbreakers, and probably loads of others but...well...the beer was very cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X