Radio & TV shops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio & TV shops

Hi, I'm not from Hull but back in the 70s I was a sales rep calling on radio & tv shops in and around Hull on a monthly rota. I was always happy when it was 'Hull's' turn again, I always found the people friendly and it was a prosperous time in those days so I always came away with a full order book!. The memory is'nt what it was but I do recall Michael Berryman (Paul), Central Radio, Newland TV, Fanthorpes etc, there was dozens of others so if you remember any, or better still owned or worked in one, in the days of 'valves!' it would be good to hear from you. Mike.

I only remember the Rediffusion shops. We used to rent one during the 60s or was it 70s.

All I can remember is the white channel dial on the wall and the valves blowing lol Oh, I remember the interference on the picture too. I think Harry enfield used to do a comedy sketch of it on his shows years ago.

Comment

Oh gosh, Rediffusion lol. That white box with the dial A to E. Haha, and Sky TV think they know about television technology! Then we had that package for films called Starview. I can't remember whether that was part of Rediffusion, or something else entirely.

Comment

Well Fanthorpe's is still very much a going concern, still in the arcade there. Berryman's packed in years ago. I had a sony minidisc player and needed an adaptor for it. I went to Berryman's, and he chucked me out of the shop because I had bought it in Tenerife! He quite literally threw me out, verbally. I felt like I had been caught shoplifting or something. I never went near the place ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by Colly View Post
          Oh gosh, Rediffusion lol. That white box with the dial A to E. Haha, and Sky TV think they know about television technology! Then we had that package for films called Starview. I can't remember whether that was part of Rediffusion, or something else entirely.
          Was the white box the same one they used to have in the hospitals to listen to the radio? I remember something like that when I had my tonsils out many moons ago. Unless it was the anaesthetic making me dream about rediffusion radio lol.

Comment

the box was like this pic....

http://scoutspocket.co.uk/wp-content...ediffusion.jpg
            I don't suffer from insanity.
            I enjoy every minute of it...

Comment

Just thought I'd try ressurrecting this thread. Also remembered Peter Pennington (Anlaby Rd?). The company I worked for (Pinnacle) also supplied record shops, so anyone from old vinyl shops as well?!. Mike.

Comment

Working...
              X