Where is Flatty Dyke?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Flatty Dyke?

I've seen several references to Flatty Dyke in the last couple of years, but I can't seem to find out what it is or where it is. Anybody?

It's on Ganstead lane, running along the side of the golfcourse, but flows all the way to drain through Longhill, I don't know how far it comes from but it heads up towards Bilton. Spent many a summer day making swings over it as a kid both near the golf course and at its end near Logland (back of Frome Road park)

Comment

Originally posted by Diztruxion View Post
      It's on Ganstead lane, running along the side of the golfcourse, but flows all the way to drain through Longhill, I don't know how far it comes from but it heads up towards Bilton. Spent many a summer day making swings over it as a kid both near the golf course and at its end near Logland (back of Frome Road park)
      I see. So, along Holderness Drain, even though there doesn't seem to be much of a dyke there anymore, as far as I can tell from Google Earth.

Progress erases so much. We don't even know for sure where Plymouth Rock is, although it is claimed that it's being excavated. Posts in the ground, firepit ashes, rubbish heaps with fish bones... yeah, that's the ticket!!

Comment

Flatty Dyke is actually Oldfleet Dyke. It originates east of Hull and becomes 'Flatty Dyke' more or less when it hits the Hull border. It still flows along the back of the hills at the far east of Alderman Kneeshaw Park on Bilton Grange (called 'Bilton Park' in my day) It does a 90 degree turn at this point and flows past Oldfleet School and under the Hull to Withernsea railway track bed eventually emptying into the River Humber not far from Saltend. If you look quickly whist driving along Hedon Road you will see the bridge parapets.
        It's not really near or associated directly with the Holderness Drain.

Comment

Working...
        X