Linux Users in Hull

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Users in Hull

I guess there are plenty of Linux users in Hull. WH Smiths, in Town-centre carries the range of Linux Periodicals, and the occasional special pubication.

However, I never seem to meet any of them: Where are they?

I know there is a local 'User Group'. meets in the pub across from the University: I may get along one day, though I have severe health problems, which restricts my ability to take part in the likes of this.

Are any users of thf Linux users?

If you are a Linux user, please consider posting, and share chat about your Linux experience. I am sure that chat about this on non-technical sites will greatly help with the uptake.
    • Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

I've only ever known one person in my whole life who has used Linux.
    Sorry I can't be more help! But if I find out anyone who does I shall point them In your direction!
    I don't suffer from insanity.
    I enjoy every minute of it...

Comment

I've only ever known one person in my whole life who has used Linux.
      Sorry I can't be more help! But if I find out anyone who does I shall point them In your direction!
      I don't suffer from insanity.
      I enjoy every minute of it...

Comment

I use Linux sometimes. I have a dual boot machine and I find linux makes some tasks alot easier although you don't have the "Mainstream" programs were used to in Windows. Its alot cleaner and faster although you do have to be comfortable with typing commands sometimes.

I think Apple is a linux based system too.

Comment

Yes, both Apple's Recent operating systems, and Android are based on Linux.

Are you finding any applications that you cannot find adequate solutions to using Linux?

I have found only one, which is program that allows me to put MIDI files into the internal memory of Yamaha Keyboards.

I have also hitherto used multi-boot systems, but I have put together a new system (still got to buy memory for it) and this time, I shall instead experiment with running Windows 8 in a virtual machine running under, probably Linux Mint, though I may still change my mind about this.

I kinda hoped more people might be encouraged to try Linux, if they see it being discussed on non-technical message boards.
          Last edited by priscus; 31st July 2014, 20:52:49. Reason: typo
          • Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Comment

Hi Priscus, I have a dual boot system running Ubuntu 12.04 / Vista Ultimate , on a dell inspiron 1545.
            Ive been using Linux on and off for about 10 years or so now, I find a dual boot easier as i have gadgets that aren't supported in Linux , There are some great Linux distros out there, all free, Im not an expert on it, It's just different, I find it breathes new life into old hard to upgrade machines, its fast too also less prone to freeze and crash.

Sam

Comment

hi, ive been using linux for few yearsnow, several distro's mint, ubuntu, puppy, dual booting and booting from cd, ultimate linux, lubuntu 11, to name a few, still trying to find the one that blows my socks off, a few have come close,

i got 2 laptops an 1 pc with ultimate and ubuntu on laptop dual voot with win 7

Comment

Working...
              X