The 'Dropped Kerb' Scheme

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Dropped Kerb' Scheme

This is something which has really been annoying me lately!

My local councillors, in their ultimate wisdom, decided that as parking was quite tight down the road where I live, they would run a programme to install dropped kerbs, for people who wanted to convert their front garden to a hard standing.

This has REALLY pee'd me off.... For several reasons!!

1) Every single house down this road has off road parking, ie- tenfoot access to very long back gardens. Every house that is, except mine!!!

2) The dropped kerb scheme hasn't improved the parking situation. All its done is given those rich enough to pay a guaranteed parking space, which now no one else can park in- even if the dropped kerb household are out all weekend!!

3) It means that when I have visitors ( I myself don't drive) there is now NOWHERE to park.

Surely it would have been so much better to encourage people to use the space already there to the rear of their properties!? The tenfoots round here are gated and locked, so there's no argument about vandalism and break ins there.

Another thing that I'm really angry about is that the letter offering people the dropped kerbs made it very clear that a hard standing HAD to be in place PRIOR to the installation. Yet, I walk around my road, and there's kerbs been installed where there's still shrubs in gardens/ a drop about 6" where the hard standing concrete hasn't yet been placed/ rubble where walls have hastily been knocked down.
    These drives are unusable, yet they still have their bloody parking space reserved- even though it contravenes the rules!!!!! It makes me so annoyed!!!!
    I don't suffer from insanity.
    I enjoy every minute of it...

I've always been a fan of this scheme. I'm even considering asking my new landlord about it. I've never looked at it your way though. A drive takes up a couple of car spaces. But people should be allowed to park in front of their own houses without fear of tickets and that way you could always park there if your visiting.

I wouldn't like to park my car down a tenfoot. I would expect my window glass all over the floor or nice foot prints all over my bonnet and roof. People just can't be trusted in dark places. Gates don't stop people on the rob. Locked houses and cars don't phase them either. Gates just mean they wont drive off in your car. Plus people will be more relaxed because they think the car is safely locked inside allowing the tea leaves more time and less worry. A friend of a friend always used to call security lights a blessing because "least I can see what I'm nicking"

Comment

A couple of points:

Originally posted by ZaGsTaR View Post
      But people should be allowed to park in front of their own houses
      The problem with this is small roads are only wide enough for one side to be parked on- however roads have houses on both sides. So realistically, its never possible to be always guaranteed a space outside your own house!

I wouldn't like to park my car down a tenfoot
      I was thinking more along the lines of offering people the installation of a hardstanding to the rear of their property, accessed by the tenfoot.
      Gates don't stop people on the rob. Locked houses and cars don't phase them either. Gates just mean they wont drive off in your car.
      The area where I live is very low crime, and the gate scheme has been highly successful. Also, there are plenty of people who have access to the tenfoots who live on the main road. They have no choice but to use their rear for parking, but like I say, crime is exceedingly low here.

I personally think the real reason less people who live down the side roads use the tenfoot access now is because people don't want to go to the hassle of getting out of the car to unlock the gate!!

Comment

I'm moving from a house with a drive and garage to a street with parking on one side. So I think I will be feeling the parking frustration soon. Most households now are 2 car as well, so it's only going to get worse. I'm a petrol head so I feel we should embrace the car and accommodate it. It would be better for everyone. I feel a thread coming on

People are lazy. I think it's the reason this country has gone down hill. We don't have the drive we used to (think there may be a pun there somewhere) :/

I feel a thread coming on

Comment

Haha!! I just laughed right out loud the! Doesn't take much to amuse me

My boyfriend is a ..well, I won't say petrol head, cos he wouldn't thank me for it, bit he's a car enthusiast- to the tune of about 20 cars.
          And its very frustrating when he comes to visit in ONE car and can't get it parked anywhere. More annoying when all the people with dropped kerbs are out for the day!!!

Comment

Working...
          X